What are the causes of Sleep Apnea?
There are many causes of Sleep Apnea below are a list of some of the common causes:
Sleep Apnea can occur at any age. Sleep Apnea is more common in middle age and older adults. It is also more common in men than in women, although after menopause the risk becomes similar.
Many, but not all people with Sleep Apnea are overweight. Some people have a naturally narrow airway. There are many causes of Sleep Apnea below are a list of some of the common causes:
- Throat muscle weakness, which cause the throat and tongue to relax more than normal when sleeping
- Obesity, especially around the throat and neck area
- Obstruction in the nasal passage or nasal congestion
- Swollen adenoids or tonsils
- A naturally small upper airway
- The shape of your head and neck
- Consumption of alcohol or drugs
- Medications, including sleep tablets
- Sleep on your back
- Aging, as your throat becomes narrower and the muscle tone decreases